ARLA/CLUSTER: Nova admnistradora da NASA é radioamadora

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 18 de Maio de 2015 - 14:01:22 WEST

New NASA Deputy Administrator is a Radio Ham

*Prof. Dava Newman KB1HIK* was sworn in as NASA Deputy Administrator on May
15 from her MIT office

Her appointment had been confirmed by the U.S. Senate on April 27. NASA
Administrator *Charles Bolden* (formerly *KE4IQB*) said, “I am delighted
with the Senate confirmation of Dr. Dava Newman to be the deputy
administrator of NASA. The strong bipartisan support Dr. Newman received in
the Senate is a reflection of her well-earned reputation and renown as a
global leader in science and technology research and policy.â€
Prof. *Dava Newman KB1HIK* being sworn in as NASA Deputy Administrator
Credit MIT

Newman is a professor of aeronautics and astronautics and of engineering
systems. On the MIT faculty since 1993, she directs the Institute’s
Technology and Policy Program and MIT Portugal Program, and is co-director
of the Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics’ Man Vehicle Laboratory.
She is a Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology faculty
member, and a Margaret McVicar Faculty Fellow.

Her research has included modeling human performance in low and
micro-gravity conditions, examining the dynamics and control of astronaut
motion, and the development of assisted walking devices for the physically
handicapped. Perhaps her most prominent project has been development of the
BioSuit, a skintight spacesuit that would give astronauts unprecedented
comfort and freedom in exploration of planetary surfaces and
extra-vehicular activity.

After accepting the confirmation, Newman said, “It's an enormous honor to
serve at NASA in times when our country is extending humanity's reach into
space while strengthening American leadership here on Earth. I'm profoundly
grateful to President Obama, the United States Senate, and Administrator
Bolden — along with everyone at MIT. I can't wait to come aboard."

Fonte : MIT