ARLA/CLUSTER : DXLDigest 6-048 of 20MAR'05.

Carlos L.R. de A.Gonçalves carlos-relvas sapo.pt
Quarta-Feira, 22 de Março de 2006 - 12:13:52 WET

Glenn,
Here's this piece of news.

PORTUGAL
In the DXLD bulletin 6-048 dtd. 20th inst., the suggested
www.filatelia.fi/dx/ page leads us, among others, to
www.filatelia/dx/photos/renasc1.jpg  - that's the (old) site at Buraca
(outskirts of Lisboa) where the local MW tx (1286 kHz 2.5 kW) & the SW tx
(6155 kHz 600 watt) were located.  Right after the stn was occupied by
political forces, in 1974/75, this very site was deliberately demolished
with charges planted by certain members of the military (cf.
www.rr.pt/historial.asp and www.rr.pt/historial2.asp).  R.Renascença no
longer used SW after that, except for the short lived "adventure" via its
Muge site, which still houses the (US made) 100 kW tx and a very small
number of rhombics, all idle... and at the easy reach of anyone for they're
outside the fenced perimeter.

The other local stn shown in www.filatelia.fin/dx/, Emissores Associados de
Lisboa, was located at Pragal, right on the opposite bank of River Tagus.
This was one the priv. comm. stns whose fate was to be nationalised and to
become part of the RDP.   In the not so distant past (80s, early 90s) the
RDP installed a MW stn at Pragal, probably in the old EAL plant.

The other pictures show what was known as Rádio Trans-Europa for quite some
time, i.e. the stn in charge of the DW and the other relays via Sines,
having later changed its name to Pro-Funk GmbH.   Neither those 3x250 kW
Marconi txs nor the fixed curtain antennae are there (probably the
log-periodic).   Curiously, during my APR'81 visit to the stn, at least one
of the photos I took at that time, about 10~11 years later, resembles the
one tagged as "sines4" in that page.   They use 3 rotatable curtain arrays,
visible in GoogleEarth by the way, and 3x250 kW Thomcast units, which we
know are all DRM capable.

(Carlos Gonçalves)