ARLA/CLUSTER: Departamento de Gerenciamento de Desastres do Estado indiano une-se aos radioamadores para romper as barreiras linguísticas

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quarta-Feira, 9 de Janeiro de 2019 - 12:50:56 WET

State Disaster Management dept unites with amateur radio operators to break
language barriers

The Millennium post report the state Disaster Management department has
joined hands with the *West Bengal Radio Club* (WBRC) — an organisation of
licensed HAM radio operators in the state to effectively address the issue
of language barrier when it comes to offering treatment to pilgrims of
other states, if they fall sick or tracing them in case they get estranged
from their family members at Gangasagar Mela.

"This is for the first time we will work as an integrated team with the
state Disaster Management unit at the fair. Two young HAMs from
Hyderabad-based National Institute of Amateur Radio and one senior ham from
Indian Institute of HAMs (IIH), Bengaluru, will be a part of our team.
These hams are expert in interpreting various languages spoken in other
states and have the experience of working worldwide in disaster
management," said Ambarish Nag Biswas, founder secretary of WBRC.

According to him, many pilgrims fall sick during the fair and a good number
of them also get estranged from their families. "There have been several
instances when the medical team has been in difficulty in providing proper
treatment as they are unable to understand the language of the patient.
Similar problems occur when somebody gets lost. We are hopeful of
addressing this problem much more effectively with these three hams working
with us," he added.

The HAM radio operators have been able to unite more than 1,700 pilgrims
who had gone missing at the 2018 Mela.

Read the full Millennium post article
<http://www.millenniumpost.in/kolkata/state-disaster-management-dept-unites-with-amateur-radio-operators-to-break-language-barriers-335448>