ARLA/CLUSTER: Autoridades norte-americanas locais promovem memorando de entendimento com grupos de radiamadores no apoio aos serviços de emergência

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quarta-Feira, 27 de Fevereiro de 2019 - 15:01:59 WET

Service Authority signs MOU with radio hams

*Water Online* reports the Prince William County Service Authority has
signed a Memorandum of Understanding with an Amateur Radio group

The news story says:

In an effort to further enhance communications during emergencies, the
Service Authority is turning to what some consider “old school†technology.

Last fall, the SA signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the
Prince William County Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES).
The organization, which partnered with the County government after 9/11,
consists of 31 licensed amateur radio operators who contribute their
qualifications and equipment during disasters.

The operators can serve in a number of ways, including as emergency
dispatchers should the Service Authority’s phone system and backup
technology go down, said Service Authority Emergency Preparedness &
Security Manager Zvi Gruenspecht.

In September of 2018, Gruenspecht reached out to Prince William ARES
Emergency Coordinator David Lane KG4GIY to establish the MOU. During their
discussions, he helped Lane understand the important role a water and
wastewater utility can play in many types of emergencies.

“If there is no water treatment during an emergency, hospitals would have
to close, and that makes the Service Authority a pretty important agency,â€
said Lane. “We are happy to lend support in any way we can.â€

“We want to leverage every resource we can to better communicate during an
emergency,†said Gruenspecht. “Should all other modes of communication
fail, having a formal agreement in place with ARES allows us to better meet
our customers’ needs.â€

The MOU has even caught the attention of the Environmental Protection
Agency, which plans on featuring it as a case study in its upcoming Power
Resilience Guide.

Source Water Online
https://www.wateronline.com/doc/service-authority-signs-mou-amateur-radio-group-0001

Prince William County Amateur Radio Emergency Service
https://www.pwcares.org/