ARLA/CLUSTER: LimeSDR and Digital Amateur TV

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 4 de Fevereiro de 2019 - 17:37:17 WET

The Lime Microsystems site carries a report on the work of BATC Chair
Dave Crump G8GKQ and the Portsdown ATV Transmitter Project

The march of technology brought Crump into the world of software
defined radio (SDR) and PC-driven transmission systems.

“We started the ‘Portsdown’ project two years ago in an effort to
re-interest members who had previously been transmitting analogue
amateur TV and then had been put-off by the complication of Digital
TV. I had built a home-build digital TV transmitter based on parts
designed to work with PC-size computers,” he recalls, “and had heard
that a French radio amateur – Evariste Coujard, F5OEO – had built a
version using a Raspberry Pi and a touch screen.

“The capabilities and probable future potential of the LimeSDR made us
choose it,” Crump explains of the BATC’s decision to further develop
Portsdown around the open LimeSDR family of software defined radios.
“We needed something to generate a complex signal on frequencies from
70 to 2450 MHz at a reasonable (> 0dBm) power level. The fact that
Evariste was one of the early adopters tipped the balance.”

Read the article at
https://limemicro.com/community/the-british-amateur-television-clubs-portsdown-atv-transmitter-project/

The British Amateur Television Club (BATC) is offering free 5 years
cyber membership for students in full-time education
https://batc.org.uk/student-membership/