ARLA/CLUSTER: 55ª Aniversário da IARU Região 2

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Terça-Feira, 16 de Abril de 2019 - 12:21:28 WEST

55th Anniversary of IARU Region 2

On April 16, 1964, the 1st. Pan-American Amateur Radio Congress was
inaugurated in Mexico City in order to create what is known today as
IARU Region 2

Delegates from Argentina, Bermuda, Canada, Colombia, Costa Rica,
Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama, Peru, the United
States and Venezuela were present.  Brazil, Chile and Jamaica
participated through proxy.

IARU President, Herbert Hoover Jr., W6ZH, was very clear in his speech
when stating the objectives of the new organization: “First…establish
the bases for a permanent organization to promote the interests of
radio amateurs in the Western Hemisphere; second...get to know each
other better, obtain a deeper perspective and strengthen international
friendship ties..."

He encouraged present societies to participate actively with their
regulators to get the votes needed in the coming World Radio
Conference, where it was imperative to defend the bands allocated to
the radio amateurs.

He also mentioned that currently, IARU represented 60 member societies
and 350 thousand radio amateurs throughout the world.
The Congress, as indicated by the reports, was very intense. Diverse
commissions were created to work actively for 4 days, creating
documents and the processes needed for its operation. An Executive
Committee was elected by acclamation, integrated by six persons
selected using a criterion of geographic balance. The result was as
follows:

President:   Antonio Pita, XE1CCP
Vicepresident:  José Italo Giammattei, YS1IM
Secretary:   Gustavo Reusens, OA4AV
Treasurer:   Noel B. Eaton, VE3CJ
Director:   Miguel A. Czysch, LU3DCA
Director:   Robert W. Denniston, WØNWX

Thus, IARU Region 2 was created on April 18, 1964.

his year we will hold our XX General Assembly in Lima and, as we did
55 years ago, we will work to meet the objectives mentioned in that
initial speech. This work with regional telecom organizations of our
continent, the Inter-American Telecommunications Commission
(abbreviated CITEL in Spanish) and with the Caribbean
Telecommunications Union (CTU) is consolidated in a worlwide effort
along with the other two regions and with IARU International
Secretariat to achieve the defense of our interests, of our bands, in
the World Radio conference to be held at the end of this year in
Egypt.

Therefore, it is very important to count on the participation of all
member societies of the continent in our General Assembly of Lima. We
have achieved significant progress, but the commitment is greater:
nowadays, IARU comprises 160 member societies and represents more than
3 million radio amateurs around the world, and the radio spectrum is
used not only by traditional radio signals but by new technologies. It
is an effort that we can achieve but only if we work collectively.

73
Ramón Santoyo, XE1KK
Vice-President
IARU Region 2