ARLA/CLUSTER: A 18 de Abril comemora-se o Dia Mundial do Radioamador e a data da fundação da IARU - Mensagem da ARRL

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Terça-Feira, 16 de Abril de 2019 - 12:19:14 WEST

April 18 is World Amateur Radio Day

The ARRL reports World Amateur Radio Day, on April 18, marks the
founding of the International Amateur Radio Union (IARU)

Thursday, April 18, is World Amateur Radio Day (WARD), this year
marking the 94th anniversary of the International Amateur Radio Union
(IARU), founded in Paris in 1925. Each year, WARD celebrates Amateur
Radio’s contribution to society. Groups in the US and around the world
will celebrate WARD 2019 with on-the-air activities.

“I am pleased to extend my greetings for World Amateur Radio Day,”
IARU President Tim Ellam, VE6SH, said. “April 18 is the day for all of
Amateur Radio to celebrate and tell the world about the science we can
help teach, the community service we can provide, and the fun we have.
I would encourage all radio amateurs to join in the celebrations and
promote Amateur Radio on the air or in your community.”

Amateur Radio experimenters were the first to discover that the
shortwave spectrum was not the wasteland experts of the time
considered it to be but a resource that could support worldwide
propagation. In the rush to use these shorter wavelengths, Amateur
Radio was “in grave danger of being pushed aside,” the IARU’s history
notes. Amateur Radio pioneers met in Paris in 1925 and created the
IARU to support Amateur Radio around the globe.

Two years later, at the International Radiotelegraph Conference,
Amateur Radio gained allocations still recognized today — 160, 80, 40,
20, and 10 meters. More bands have followed, and the IARU has been
working to defend and expand Amateur Radio frequency allocations ever
since.

>From the 25 countries that formed the IARU in 1925, the IARU has grown
to include 160 member-societies in three regions. IARU Region 1
includes Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and northern Asia. Region 2
covers the Americas, and Region 3 is comprised of Australia, New
Zealand, the Pacific island nations, and most of Asia.

The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) has recognized the
IARU as representing the interests of Amateur Radio.

Groups are encouraged to promote their WARD activity on social media
by using the hashtag #WorldAmateurRadioDay on Twitter, Instagram, and
Facebook.

The World Radio Network and the World Friendship Net will participate
in World Amateur Radio Day 2019 using special event call sign W2W. A
commemorative QSL card will be available, and a 12-hour net will be
convened with net controllers from around the world. Join the
commemoration at 1600 UTC via Echolink on the World Conference server
(IRLP 9251) and on Allstar Node #47620 – World Conference Hub.

Read the full ARRL story at
http://www.arrl.org/news/world-amateur-radio-day-2019-marks-international-amateur-radio-union-founding

IARU http://www.iaru.org/world-amateur-radio-day.html