ARLA/CLUSTER: A importância da IARU e do seu crucial trabalho em prole do radioamadorismo

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Sexta-Feira, 14 de Setembro de 2018 - 12:56:40 WEST

IARU's crucial work for Amateur Radio

*Geoff Emery VK4ZPP* of WIA News gives his thoughts on the importance of
the International Amateur Radio Union that has been meeting in Korea this
week

Hello, I’m Geoff Emery, VK4ZPP, and I’ve been thinking.

I was impressed this week to see the WIA posting news from the IARU Region
3 meeting in Korea. Often this type of involvement is overlooked when the
membership renewal arrives and we start to think about the home budget and
the value we get from being a member.

In the great scheme of regulation and advocacy, the International Amateur
Radio Union is an important part of maintaining consistency in
international planning spectrum usage for us amateurs. With the World
Administrative Conference around the corner, in 2019, there is much
negotiation and burning of midnight oil in preparation. Not the least of
that is the fact that many sectors of the user groups are pressing for
greater access to RF and regulators are trying to accommodate the various
claims and it all should mesh.

One of the biggest demands for bandwidth in the microwave bands is the
exponential expansion with the coming of the internet of Things (IoT) and
the impending release of the 5G mobile standards. Then there is the matter
of compatibility of service requirements between users of HF radio
spectrum. Already as the NBN progresses its rollout amateurs are reporting
interference from internet equipment radiation into amateur station
equipment. The fact that we amateurs are primary users of particular
segments should ensure that we are protected and faults such as this are
quickly remediated.

Then think back a couple of weeks and we have the instructions to US Coast
Guard vessels to minimise the use of led lights because of the interference
they are causing to electronic systems on board. Ambient noise levels have
been increasing because of what has been dubbed “electronic smog †as
switch mode power supplies, solar pv regulators, led lights and on and on.
Ask a consistent HF operator what the bands are like and then what the
noise level at their QTH has become. It is not a pretty picture.

As poor as the compliance is to the standards that should help remove this
electronic trash, just think how much worse it would be if there was no
attempt at control. If there was no ITU oversight of standards and
co-ordination and the manufacturers and service providers could just do
what the best money return would allow, just think, there would be little
standardisation  until perhaps a monopoly won the technology war.

So as amateurs pool their expertise in conferences like the one in Seoul we
should all be thankful that we do have a system and an input in the
protection of our recreation. Without the dedication of these people in
negotiating on an international platform, we would be without the bands,
the modes and the operating privileges we enjoy.

I’m Geoff Emery and that’s what I think....how about you?

Source WIA News
http://www.wia.org.au/members/broadcast/wianews/
display.php?file_id=wianews-2018-09-16