ARLA/CLUSTER: África do Sul considera implementar a Banda I para o sistema " Digital Radio Mondiale Plus (DRM+) broadcasting" entre 54 a 68 MHz

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quarta-Feira, 3 de Outubro de 2018 - 15:09:31 WEST

South Africa considers Band I DRM+ broadcasting

South Africa may be opening the door to DRM+ Broadcasting in low-band VHF
54-68 MHz

Minister of Communications *Ms Nomvula Mokonyane* is inviting comments on
the Digital Sound Broadcasting (DSB) policy directive to be submitted by
Friday, October 26.

That directive says: *"In the Very High Frequency (VHF) bands I & II, the
standard Digital Radio Mondiale Plus (DRM +) is considered to be a
candidate standard that can co-locate and co-exist with existing frequency
modulation (FM) analogue technologies."*

While the Directive is correct about the possibility of using DRM+ in Band
II (88-108 MHz) the reference to Band I is surprising.

Frequencies below about 75 MHz are unsuitable for Sound Broadcasting due to
the unpredictable propagation characteristics of this part of the spectrum.

Electronic Communications Act: Policy direction on introduction of digital
sound broadcasting in South Africa: Comments invited
https://www.gov.za/documents/electronic-communications-act-policy-direction-introduction-digital-sound-broadcasting

PDF https://www.gov.za/sites/default/files/41928_gon995.pdf

Russia has also proposed to allow DRM+ in unsuitable 65.9-74.0 MHz spectrum
http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2018/september/russia-proposes-to-use-drm-on-65-9-74-0-mhz.htm