ARLA/CLUSTER: As comunicações de emergencia nas inundação no Sri Lanka são asseguradas pelos radioamadores

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quarta-Feira, 31 de Maio de 2017 - 13:28:50 WEST

Disaster communications in Sri Lanka flood

Torrential monsoonal rain in south-western Sri Lanka last Sunday sparked a
flood and landslip disaster with an urgent call for help received by the
Radio Society of Sri Lanka (RSSL).

Around 11:30 am RSSL President, *Jaliya Lokeshwara 4S7JL* got an emergency
call about 11.30 am from the Road Development Authority seeking help from
radio amateurs.

The RSSL reports that emergency communications were needed to link remote
Kalawana, one of the worst hit areas and Ratnapura.

All communications had failed due to heavy flooding, earth-slips, and
broken communications networks.

The RDA declared roads were impassable. Only air rescue by the Sri Lanka
Air Force helicopters was possible and without communications that was even
more difficult.

A plan was quickly put in place with four radio amateurs ready to be
airlifted from Colombo to both locations to form a communications link.

Jaliya 4S7JL and Nadika 4S6NCH were the first ready to go, and were joined
by Victor 4S7VK and Dimuthu 4S7DZ. Victor 4A7VK said: “We knew we could do
it, we were self-sufficient and willing to rough it out.â€

“It was a hard task, but within 30 minutes of landing the High Frequency
link was established. It had two days of tremendous coordinating rescue
flights, movement of patients from Kalawana hospital to Ratnapura, and food
drops.â€

The emergency link remained until the restoration of mobile phone
connections and roads were cleared. Victor 4S7VK in his report concluded:
“We are happy we could win the day for simple high frequency radio.â€

The disaster aftermath continues with the deaths of 177 people and
thousands of displaced survivors.

* Jim Linton VK3PC* Chairman IARU Region 3 Disaster Communications
Committee with Jayu S. Bhide VU2JAU National Coordinator for Disaster
Communication in India (ARSI), and Victor Goonetilleke 4S7VK.