ARLA/CLUSTER: Jovens envolvem-se com o radioamadorismo na Austrália

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 20 de Fevereiro de 2017 - 14:06:10 WET

Youth take up amateur radio

ABC reports Australian youth are taking up amateur radio from inside a
central Victorian bus in the bush

Castlemaine student Kezia Hamilton is a product of radio
communications, so to speak — her parents met while talking on CB
radio as teenagers.

"They had this certain station where they would meet people and would
go on a separate frequency to chat," Kezia said.

The 17-year-old is part of a group of eight Castlemaine Venturers
learning amateur radio in a converted bus located on a bush block on
the outskirts of town.

"It's pretty cool talking to other people! We once had someone from
France and we talked to a couple of people in New Zealand," Kezia
said.

"I really like the idea that you can talk to people in space — that
sounds really exciting."

Kezia is referring to the time a group of Nepalese students were able
to chat with UK astronaut Tim Peake while he was aboard the
International Space Station (ISS) last year.

But it is not just the fun factor of amateur radio that appeals to Kezia.

"I think it could be very useful in emergencies and stuff because
sometimes the phone towers break down," she said.

Read the full story at
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-17/youth-take-up-amateur-radio-from-inside-bus-in-the-bush/8277122