ARLA/CLUSTER: Voz da America celebra 75 anos de emissões ininterruptas em Ondas Curtas

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 6 de Fevereiro de 2017 - 13:01:43 WET

VOA celebrates 75 years on the air

A little more than seven weeks after the United States officially
entered World War II, a live, 15-minute shortwave radio broadcast was
transmitted into Germany from a small studio in New York City on
February 1, 1942.

It was introduced by the American patriotic song "The Battle Hymn of
the Republic." Then, announcer William Harlan Hale's voice could be
heard saying: “We bring you Voices from America. Today, and daily from
now on, we shall speak to you about America and the war. The news may
be good for us. The news may be bad. But we shall tell you the truth.”

That was the very first broadcast from what, 75 years later, is now
the Washington-headquartered Voice of America.

By the end of the war, VOA was broadcasting in 40 languages, with
programming consisting of music, news and commentary.

Since then, VOA has grown into a multimedia international broadcasting
service, with programming and content in 47 languages on multiple
platforms, including radio, television and mobile.

Read the full story at:
VOA Celebrates 75 Years on the Air