ARLA/CLUSTER: NASA promove "NASA on the Air" através do Amateur Radio Club desde o Kennedy Space Center na Florida.

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 4 de Dezembro de 2017 - 14:43:00 WET

'NASA on the Air' ham radio events

NASA is known for communicating with astronauts on missions to space, but
did you know regular citizens can radio NASA too?

>From the end of this year through the next, NASA will mark several key
milestones. Amateur radio clubs at agency centers across the nation plan to
celebrate these occasions with several "*NASA on the Air*" events.
Kennedy Space Center Amateur Radio Club members Dennis Veselka KI4KNC and
Scott Vangen WB0QMZ

"We enjoy sharing NASA's story as part of the fun of making contact with
fellow ham radio operators across the nation and around the world," said *Kevin
Zari KK4YEL*, who is activities officer for the Amateur Radio Club at
NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

"We occasionally communicate with people who think that because we're not
flying the space shuttle anymore, NASA has almost gone out of business. We
tell them about activities such as the International Space Station and the
Space Launch System, and they appreciate the update."

Amateur, or ham, radio operators use a frequency spectrum for communicating
noncommercial and private messages. One of the most important uses of ham
radio operations is providing emergency messaging following disasters, such
as the recent Hurricane Maria that destroyed most avenues of communication
in Puerto Rico.

"The amateur radio clubs at NASA centers are made up of civil servants,
contractors and tenants who participate on their own time," said Zari, who
has been at Kennedy since 1990 and is chief technology officer in the
Mission and Support Office of Exploration Research and Technology Programs.
"We all have a common goal to show our support for NASA and highlight some
of the agency's amazing accomplishments."

Read the full story at
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-on-the-air-events-to-highlight-key-space-milestones

What is Amateur Radio?
http://www.essexham.co.uk/what-is-amateur-radio