ARLA/CLUSTER: NASA fecha o Centro Espacial Johnson devido ao Harvey

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quarta-Feira, 30 de Agosto de 2017 - 12:54:58 WEST

NASA’s Johnson Space Center closes for Tropical Storm Harvey

NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston will remain closed to all but
mission essential personnel through Labor Day due to the effects of
now-Tropical Storm Harvey. The center originally closed Aug. 25 and
will reopen Tuesday, Sept. 5.

The center’s leadership team continues to closely monitor weather
conditions and the overall situation in Houston, and is preparing a
full assessment of the center’s status once the storm abates.

“Our primary concern is the safety of our employees and all our fellow
Houstonians," said Johnson Director Ellen Ochoa. “We’re taking these
measures to ensure the members of our team and their families can take
care of themselves and their neighbors.”

The closing allows employees to avoid treacherous road conditions, and
to attend to the needs of their families. It also allows the center to
focus on the highest priority mission activities, including the
landing of three International Space Station crew members this weekend
in Kazakhstan.

Flight control for the International Space Station continues in
Johnson’s Mission Control Center in Houston. Mission control is
expected to remain in operation throughout this period.

All backup systems required to maintain the James Webb Space
Telescope, which is at Johnson for testing, were checked prior to the
arrival of the storm, and are ready for use, if necessary.

Space Center Houston, the official visitor center for Johnson, has
announced it will extend its closure through Friday, Sept. 1. The
visitor center’s leadership is monitoring conditions and will announce
Saturday’s operating hours on Friday.

For more about Space Center Houston, go to:
http://spacecenter.org

For information about NASA’s Johnson Space Center, visit:
https://www.nasa.gov/johnson