ARLA/CLUSTER: E porque não passar a incluir um pequeno "walkie talkie" num kit de situações de emergencia

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 7 de Agosto de 2017 - 14:00:59 WEST

[image: Amateur radio operators in the region say they could have provided
a valuable service during Friday's phone outage in Atlantic Canada.]
Phone outage is 'wake-up call'

CBC News says some amateur radio operators are hoping a massive phone
outage in Atlantic Canada inspires people to be more prepared for emergency
situations

Amateur radio, also known as ham radio, uses radio frequencies to
communicate with other devices without the use of landline, cell or
internet services.

"We're really a backup network," said licensed radio operator *Chris Vessey
VY2CRV*, who is based in Charlottetown.

"In the event of a dire emergency, we're capable of taking our equipment
out, setting it up and helping authorities to communicate."

For several hours on Friday, Bell Aliant landline and cell services, as
well as Telus, Virgin and Koodo users, were cut off after damage to two
fibre lines.

People from retailers to emergency responders across the region experienced
a disruption in connectivity

"I was on standby," said Vessey. "If necessary, we would have rolled out
some resources, some personnel to assist with communications."

Read the full story at
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/amateur-radio-atlantic-canada-bell-phone-outage-1.4236756