ARLA/CLUSTER: ZD7: DXpedition a Santa Helena novamente adiada por falta de condições no aeroporto de destino

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Terça-Feira, 18 de Outubro de 2016 - 12:49:03 WEST

St. Helena operation postponed again!

*Bill, G0VDE*, reports that the opening of St. Helena airport still has
'continuing serious problems' and 'it is still not possible to land
sensible sized aircraft like 737 there'.

He states, "The planned flights (in May/June and October by Atlantic Star)
have been cancelled. The Comair flights from South Africa have likewise not
started. All in all, it is a total mess and the UK government is being
accused of building a £250 Million white elephant of an unusable airfield,
all due to the strong winds and wind shear!

I have had to cancel, re-book and cancel my accommodation - if you read the
ZD7 'newsletters' (the St. Helena Sentinel and the St Helena Independent)
you will see it has been a very sorry story - hotels were encouraged to
prepare extra rooms for the coming 'tourist boom' and one has even
reportedly gone out of business, because they spent a lot to prepare and
have now got no means of recovering their losses!"

Bill states, "So I am afraid I am not going this October either (having
had to cancel my May/June trip). I am keeping somewhat up-to-date about the
events on my website <sthelenadx.com> - but there is no planned date for
the full airport opening so I don't have any certain future date.

"You may know the boat (the RMS St. Helena) was due to retire at the end of
July, but it has been kept in operation for about another year as it is
obviously the only way of accessing the island. I am looking at the
possibility of traveling by the boat, but the problem there is two fold -
the cost is at least double the planned cost of flying, and I would have to
travel for two weeks and only be able to stay for one week...
It is just possible I will take this option, but I am still waiting as I
could theoretically fly at quite short notice, should proper flights begin.

We therefore have sorry situation and a continuing delay - I will try to
keep everyone posted. Maybe the only silver lining is that ZD7 will get
rarer and any future visit would be popular!"

Fonte: OPDX