ARLA/CLUSTER: Agência Federal de Emergência dos Estados Unidos destaca o enorme potencial do radioamadorismo no tema

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quarta-Feira, 9 de Março de 2016 - 14:22:27 WET

Radio Hams supporting Disaster Communications from Space

A post on the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) site highlights
the use of amateur radio satellites for disaster communications

Amateur radio enthusiasts - or 'hams' as they’re often called - often step
in during emergencies to help bridge communication gaps between first
responders to keep people safe when smartphones, cell towers, and internet
technologies we rely on every day go down.
Volunteer hams also serve as a valuable source of information during the
initial states of an emergency.  Often, hams provide this public service in
association with volunteer groups like Community Emergency Response Teams,
who are always ready to spring into action quickly and effectively.

We owe it to these volunteers to do everything we can to support their work
to help communities bounce back when disaster strikes.  That’s why we’ve
partnered with the American Radio Relay League and researchers from
Virginia Tech’s Ted and Karyn Hume Center for National Security and
Technology in Blacksburg, Virginia—one of the leaders in amateur radio
technology—to develop a new communications satellite that will help amateur
radio operators transmit radio signals across the United States 24 hours a
day, 365 days a year.  After all, disasters can happen any place and any
time.

Read the full story at
http://www.fema.gov/blog/2016-03-07/supporting-disaster-communications-space

AMSAT-UK http://amsat-uk.org/