ARLA/CLUSTER: UIT coloca equipamentos de telecomunicações de emergência nas Antilhas e Caraíbas devido aos furacoes

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Sexta-Feira, 4 de Setembro de 2015 - 13:50:24 WEST

ITU deploys emergency telecommunication equipment

The ITU has deployed emergency telecommunication equipment in
Dominica, which was hit by Tropical Storm Erika on August 27

Heavy rains, severe flooding and landslides wreaked widespread damage
across the island in the Lesser Antilles region of the Caribbean Sea.

The emergency telecommunication equipment includes satellite phones,
Broadband Global Area Networks, solar chargers, laptops and
accessories, which are being used to support relief and coordination
efforts.

“I express my sincere condolences to the people and Government of
Dominica following loss of life and widespread destruction caused by
high winds, flooding and mudslides,” said ITU Secretary-General Houlin
Zhao. “ITU stands ready to support Dominca in its hour of need and
other Member States in their efforts to provide humanitarian support
to those affected by natural disasters.”

“Communication is vital in the aftermath of any disaster,” said Mr
Kelver Darroux, Minister of Information, Science, Telecommunications
and Technology of Dominica. “The emergency telecommunication equipment
we have received from ITU brings us a step closer in our recovery
process.”

“After a natural disaster, not a single life should be lost because of
the break down in telecommunication services,” said Mr Brahima Sanou,
Director of ITU’s Telecommunication Development Bureau.
“The emergency communication equipment sent by ITU will provide vital
links to coordinate relief and rescue efforts in Dominica.”

“The emergency telecommunication equipment we requested was delivered
promptly, helping the government to extend its relief coordination
efforts in areas affected by Tropical Storm Erika,” added Mr Lucien
Blackmoore, Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Information,
Science, Telecommunications and Technology of Dominica.

The Government of Dominica has declared nine special disaster areas in
the districts of Petite Savanne, Pichelin, Good Hope, Bath Estate
(Paradise Valley), Dubique, Campbell, Coulibistrie, San Sauveur and
Petite Soufrière.

ITU considers emergency telecommunications an integral part of the
post-2015 development agenda.

Source: ITU Press Release
http://www.itu.int/net/pressoffice/press_releases/2015/CM13.aspx