ARLA/CLUSTER: Escutar o FUNcube-1 (AO-73) durante e Eclipse Solar

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Terça-Feira, 10 de Março de 2015 - 12:46:16 WET

Listen to FUNcube-1 during solar eclipse

There will be a total solar eclipse on March 20, 2015 which tracks across
the North Atlantic and eventually covers a lot of the Arctic

It would seem that this will affect most spacecraft that are in a polar
orbit to some extent as, at that sort of time, they would expect to be in
sunlight at the time and location.

On FUNcube-1 (AO-73) we have a good power budget which means that we should
be able to maintain our normal autonomous operation schedule for the day
but, of course, if the spacecraft does go fully into darkness it should
switch autonomously to transponder and low power telemetry.

It will be interesting to see what actually happens and we hope that as
many listeners as possible will upload the data they receive between 0740
and 1150 UT on that morning. Our Whole Orbit Data will show the solar
currents, battery voltage and external temps clearly during this period so
we should get a clear understanding of the effects on board.

If anyone has some software that can model the satellite’s track and the
expected impact of the solar eclipse it would be great to hear about it!

FUNcube-1 Dashboard App
http://funcube.org.uk/working-documents/funcube-telemetry-dashboard/

Whole orbit data for the event will be available at
http://warehouse.funcube.org.uk/wod.html?satelliteId=2
This website has a good animation of the eclipse
http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/solar/2015-march-20

Information on the Solar Eclipse from Chelmsford Amateur Radio Society
member Peter Meadows M0ZBU
http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2015/march/
partial_solar_eclipse_march_20.htm

Essex Partial Solar Eclipse Friday, March 20, 2015
http://www.petermeadows.com/Essex_Partial_Solar_Eclipse_Mar15.pdf

Radio hams will be at BBC Solar Eclipse event
http://amsat-uk.org/2015/03/02/radio-hams-will-be-at-bbc-solar-eclipse-event