ARLA/CLUSTER: Ex-Presidente da IARU R1 Hans Blondeel Timmerman (PB2T) faz uma activação SOTA

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 16 de Fevereiro de 2015 - 13:19:58 WET

 IARU President is new SOTA Mountain Goat

One of the latest amateurs to attain *Mountain Goat* as an activator in the
popular Summits on the Air programme will be a familiar figure to many in
the amateur radio world. This is because he managed to combine his interest
in SOTA whilst at the same time holding the post of IARU Region 1 President.

*Hans Blondeel Timmerman PB2T* who was President up to October last year,
has activated summits in no fewer than 15 different countries, spanning the
globe. Being from one of the low countries does present some challenges to
a SOTA activator but the opportunity to travel obviously came in useful for
Hans.
Hans Blondeel Timmerman PB2T operating from HB/VD-022 Berneuse.
Sunshine and some luxury on the summit are highly appreciated!

He says “ In October 2012 Paul HB9DST introduced K2XYL and me to the
wonderful world of Summits on the Air. In that same month I retired, which
meant a bit more free time for hiking, one of my wife’s favourites, and
amateur radio. I have always tried to combine amateur radio with travel. So
far I have been active from 80 DXCC entities. SOTA gave me a new start.
When there is a chance to operate from another SOTA association I’ll give
it a try. Of course I am not unique in that respect and there are others
who have an even higher association score.â€

â€A great opportunity to learn more about a country is to go & activate a
SOTA with a local amateur. I have fond memories of my SOTA activities in
South Africa, Ireland, Macedonia, Lebanon, Romania, Poland and Australia.
In all these countries I had the pleasure of having the company of a local
amateur with whom I could discuss the scenery, antenna’s, radios etc.
Experiencing the local cuisine during or after the SOTA activity is highly
recommended. In recent months I got too focused on reaching 1000 activator
points, It’s now time for 1, 2, 4 and 6 point summits which must be as
beautiful as their higher brothers.â€

Congratulations Hans!

*Mark Walmsley G0VOF*
SOTA Associate Press Officer