ARLA/CLUSTER: 100 Relatorios de escuta do Beacon de Onda Media australiano

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quarta-Feira, 9 de Julho de 2014 - 13:22:03 WEST

Australia’s medium wave beacon reaches a century

Regular readers will know that, for most of this year, a home-built
test beacon on 473 kHz has operated at Mildura in the north-west of
Victoria.

The beacon has been heard throughout Australia and into New Zealand.
With the latest on that activity, here is Noel Ferguson VK3FI.

"The aim of that test has been to create interest in the 630 metre
band - and it certainly has done that very successfully as I’ve just
turned over the 100th report. And I know many who have reported
continue to check the signal.

So a big thank you for those who have taken the time to look for the
beacon and provide reports.

Also while I’m on thank you’s, – thanks must go to Jim VK3PC for
ongoing publicity. And also thanks to Owen VK2OMD for prodding me into
trying the QRSS mode and for also supplying the keying board for that
mode.

At this point I intend to continue with the beacon, well at least for the
next several weeks - but after that I’ll take a break in transmission as
I’m planning some antenna re-arrangements.

The plan is to improve the 473 kHz beacon antenna and also to install a
replacement HF beam. At the same time I intend to move the 473 kHz
transmitter off the workbench into the rack where it belongs.

And that work will take me to a cross roads – should I continue the
beacon in the nightly operational mode? Or should I change to a beacon
on demand?

Your ideas, comments to  vk3fi<at>wia.org.au  appreciated.

Wireless Institute of Australia