ARLA/CLUSTER: De radioamador a Premio Nobel

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 14 de Outubro de 2013 - 13:37:19 WEST

 From Ham Radios to Nobel Prize

A Nobel Laureate who started as a radio amateur recently spoke at Chestnut
Hill College’s 20th anniversary of its Biomedical Lecture Series

*Dr. Michael S. Brown*, formerly *W3DCL*, 72, who grew up in Elkins Park,
said an amateur radio operating license obtained at the age of 13, while a
student at Thomas Williams Junior High School in Wyncote, sparked his
passion for science.

In an interview with the Chestnut Hill Local prior to Brown’s presentation,
the Cheltenham High School graduate said he and a friend used to build
their equipment from various parts or kits.

“I would usually finish around 3 a.m.,†Brown said. “I would plug it in and
blow every fuse in the house. My parents were not very happy with this
hobby. What made it scientific was you had to go back over the entire thing
step by step and figure out what you had done wrong. And that’s the essence
of science because experiments never work the first time.â€

Read the Chestnut Hill Local story at
http://chestnuthilllocal.com/blog/2013/10/10/laid-groundwork-for-cholesterol-drugs-from-ham-radios-to-nobel-prize-for-local-scientist/