ARLA/CLUSTER: Family Radio volta à Onda Curta.Radio Miami International torna-se a maior emissora privada americana em OC.

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quinta-Feira, 21 de Novembro de 2013 - 20:07:10 WET

WYFR Shortwave Facility Returns as WRMI
<http://www.pcjmedia.com/component/content/article/1-latest-news/254-wyfr-shortwave-facility-returns-as-wrmi?format=pdf><http://www.pcjmedia.com/component/content/article/1-latest-news/254-wyfr-shortwave-facility-returns-as-wrmi?tmpl=component&print=1&page=><http://www.pcjmedia.com/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&link=9de2d0929f5379b589ba60faf68a024d7ff0a631>

*WYFR Shortwave Facility Returns as WRMI *

Legendary shortwave station WYFR in Okeechobee, Florida, which ceased
transmissions on June 30, 2013, will resume broadcasting in December as a
result of an agreement between Family Stations, Inc, and Radio Miami
International, Inc.

According to the agreement, Family Radio will sell the WYFR facility to
Radio Miami International. Family Radio programming for the Caribbean and
South America will return to shortwave via the Okeechobee site, and Radio
Miami's programming currently aired on WRMI in Miami will switch over to
the Okeechobee facility. The station will also carry programs for other
international broadcasters, including Pan American Broadcasting's Radio
Africa network. A target date of December 1, 2013 has been set for the
resumption of broadcasts. The current WRMI transmission site in Miami will
be closed, and the WRMI call letters will be transferred to Okeechobee.

"We are very grateful to Family Radio for entrusting us with this
magnificent station," said Jeff White, WRMI General Manager. "WYFR is an
important part of the heritage of shortwave broadcasting, and we are very
happy that it will continue to serve shortwave listeners around the world."
The station first went on the air from Okeechobee in 1977, although the
origins of the station and its predecessors go back to 1927. WYFR/WRMI is
the largest shortwave station in the United States in number of
transmitters and antennas. *The facility is comprised of 13 transmitters
twelve 100kilowatt and one 50kilowatt and 23 antennas **beamed to all of
the Americas, Europe and Africa. *

White, who is also SecretaryTreasurer of the National Association of
Shortwave Broadcasters (NASB), said that "many people made this transition
a reality, not the least of whom was our former Secretary Treasurer and
current board member, Dan Elyea, who had been the WYFR Station Manager from
the time it was built in the late 1970's until his recent retirement. Dan
presented us to Family Radio Vice President Tom Evans. Tom and the Family
Radio Board have given us their confidence, and we will do our best to keep
this station going for many years to come."

Fonte: PCJ