ARLA/CLUSTER: Prof. universitário recomenda o radioamadorismo em comunicações de emergencia

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quarta-Feira, 14 de Novembro de 2012 - 12:57:43 WET

First lesson of Superstorm Sandy: Improve communication

Darren Hayes, professor, Pace University's Seidenberg School of
Computer Science and Information Systems reports in the aftermath of
Hurricane Sandy

He says:
Interestingly, older technology played a vital role after this disaster.
The Verizon network suffered widespread outages and with no
electricity, telecommunications were problematic. The old corded
telephones were plugged in and there were lines for payphones –
telephones that we thought were a distant memory. Others resorted to
using amateur radio (HAM) to communicate, which was very effective.
HAM radio has networks dedicated to communications outages (RACES,
ARES). A battery-powered radio was my only connection to the outside
world at one point.

Read his article at
http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/technology/267421-first-lesson-of-superstorm-sandy-improve-communication