ARLA/CLUSTER: Realçada a capacidade dos radioamadores nas comunicações de emergência no Reino Unido

Terça-Feira, 17 de Julho de 2012 - 10:41:08 WEST

Hams: We're good in a disaster - UK Radio Society boss

Anna Leach on The Register reports on the emergency communications capabilities of amateur radio and other aspects of the hobby.

She writes:

"In disasters they rely on us," said Carlos Eavis G0AKI of the National Radio Society, at the opening of the National Radio centre yesterday.
"In 9/11, all the mobile masts were on the Twin Towers, but the radio signals still worked.

"When the tsunami struck we were the first people to be able to report it and to get information in and out. We can provide the back-up and support in an emergency, because amateur radio requires no infrastructure."

Read the Register article at
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/13/amateur_radio_nasa_disaster/