ARLA/CLUSTER: FW: DX Code of Conduct Update

Quarta-Feira, 4 de Janeiro de 2012 - 10:26:53 WET

De: Randy Johnson W6SJ [mailto:randy  loan-wolf.ccsend.com] Em nome de Randy Johnson W6SJ
Enviada: quarta-feira, 4 de Janeiro de 2012 06:50
Para: João Gonçalves Costa
Assunto: DX Code of Conduct Update

Having trouble viewing this email? Click here <http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=w6ajbxbab&v=001PEzLWYs7lNKQIR_YZOxAiIzXfUMQ8AyRhxSvBwOch8ArLpBvo4IOYn-tdKbON68mgf5T1077Z8j6ThSbtlCi74L9sc01KofT2Bic7SJoxaU%3D>

[http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs062/1101358465974/img/19.jpg]

DX Code of Conduct Update

The current status of our penetration is that depending on the counter you believe, either 25,000 or 33,000 hams have visited our site. You can see the background of visitors by clicking on the Flag Counter box at the bottom of the page or the Revolver Map. We did not have specific goals in mind, but clearly, a lot of people have heard about the Code and we have certainly reached a substantial number of people. What percentage are we reaching?

It is hard to tell. T32C was on Kiritimati for 4 weeks and had contacts with 48,000 unique call signs. I'd like to think that every DXer in the world who wanted a QSO got one, so is 48,000 a measure of the active, serious DXer population? Perhaps. If so, we have reached over 50%.

One thing that has become clear is that the on-the-air performance of the DXpedition operator is critically important to pileup management. Put a bunch of soldiers in a field and tell them to go to the PX, and they will wander over there. Tell a sergeant to get the troops there and he will get them into formation and march them over in short order.

In the same way, a DXpedition operator who imposes discipline on a pileup will get better results than one who just lets the mob do what it wants to do. Once they perceive that there is no control, behavior degenerates. For that reason, we have beefed up the "Code of DXpedition Operators" section of the site. When we contact a DXpedition and ask them to endorse the Code, all but a very few say they do and will and are eager to add their support. They post our logo or the Code at their website.

However, when we suggest that all the DXpedition operators, particularly the ones who haven't been on a DXpedition before, study the educational material we provide, we find that team leader say, "All of our operators are experienced." But when they get to their destination and get on the air, it is clear to everyone listening that some DX operators are not as experienced as their leader thought. They lose control of the pileup and it is obvious to all that they should have gotten more training. We will continue to emphasize this.

New item

We have a DX Code of Conduct Store where you can buy T-shirts, hats, cups, and badges with the DX Code logo on them. Please consider ordering something for yourself or perhaps getting your club to order some items for use by all your members. Our store website is http://www.cafepress.com/dxcodeofconduct

I certainly hope that a large number of you will buy one of these products to show your support. If you are coming to Visalia, order a T-shirt and wear it there.

New item

We have had some national organizations, notably RSGB and DARC, include a link to our website from their society's website. A lot more work needs to be done and I hope that as you read this, you consider whether your own country's society is supporting ethical operating practices. If your association has not yet done so, I hope that as a member you will write them and encourage them to join in. We do not have organized liaison members anywhere so it is entirely up to you to volunteer for that role. Please report back if you are successful.

Finally, I think we have to consider some serious questions about the future of the project:

How effective have we really been in changing pileup behavior and DXpedition operator performance?

Is this project taken seriously by DXers and DXpedition organizers?

Is the DX Code of Conduct to become a permanent feature of the amateur radio landscape? Or is this a flash in the pan? That is to ask, "Is ethical operating important to the great body of hams?"

Where should our efforts be directed now?

Seriously, I would like each of you to all to consider these questions. Please send your observations to me at w6sj  arrl.net<mailto:w6sj  arrl.net>

Our Committee wishes that you have a fantastic 2012. Propagation is already getting better. I fooled around trying to create a small, light-weight ten meter wire beam and I am pleased with it and hopeful about doing a lot of DXing on 10 meters in 2012. See my antenna at http://savvyborrower.com/TenMeter.htm <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=w6ajbxbab&et=1109039799902&s=3856&e=001oZsh7jkdocwvmh53uC7xoaM3OOpJxRNKkcNfzAJvlHB1bRBGZqZzY8LyNn8y1jo8wGsVaeRe9O_ujMaEQ_2301CMkmzbsvP7BDFoKvnGEYMEcqdyY-TndGTmyxLM-2iGnsNGhDw-YPI=>

73,

Randy W6SJ

Forward this email<http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?llr=w6ajbxbab&m=1101358465974&ea=joao.a.costa%40ctt.pt&a=1109039799902>