ARLA/CLUSTER: Quando tudo falha, os radiamadores salvam o dia

Quarta-Feira, 31 de Agosto de 2011 - 12:58:26 WEST

When All Else Fails, Amateurs Save The Day

Jessie King of the patch.com reports on the work of Radio Amateurs in providing backup communications in disaster scenarios.

Francis John Wehner of Groton W1FJW said his role, and that of any other amateur radio operator in an emergency shelter, is superflous until the phone lines go down, then "we're crafty little devils as far as getting communications out."

Wehner has been an amateur radio operator who has practiced Millstone emergency drills for "years and years" he said but Saturday was his first time being the ears and voice for an emergency shelter.

"They put me back here by myself for a reason," he said. "I'm a rank amateur amateur."

Wehner was tucked away in the far corner of Fitch High School's cafeteria with his disaster kit - a 9-foot high portable antenna, a tripot, a carrying case, a radio, an extra fuse, a note pad and about 1,500 feet of wire.

Wehner's role, while the phone lines are operational, includes transmitting shelter reports to the Red Cross's regional office in Waterford. When phone lines go down and cell phone's are not an option, Wehner is the only method of communication for the emergency shelter and local services.