ARLA/CLUSTER: Índia: Câmara Municipal de Bombaim forma radioamadores para comunicações de emergência.

Segunda-Feira, 12 de Julho de 2010 - 19:05:05 WEST

[http://evirtualpie.com/myimage/albums/userpics/bmc-mumbai-myworld.jpg]

Civic employees will learn to use HAM radio.

The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) is planning to promote HAM technology in all its wards.

HAM uses private wireless set to communicate with other HAMs and can be used to communicate in disasters, when landlines and mobiles don't work. "Disasters happens due to lack of communication. I am glad to hear that HAMs would be ing in those conditions," said Municipal Commissioner Swadheen Kshatriya after distributing certificates, on Saturday, to those who underwent training at the HAM bay station in Malabar Hill.

 "We would encourage two to three civic employees per ward to learn this technology."

Citizens’ groups are tying up with the BMC to get volunteers trained to operate the HAM radio.

Indrani Malkani, Malabar Hills Residents’ Association secretary, said: "During the deluge, I realised that alternate communication system is required and I knew about HAM technology."

She got in touch with JNA wireless association. They then tied up with BMC in 2006. "We felt we need more HAM operators so we thought we would like to sponsor training classes," she said. "We set up centres at Cathedral and John Connon Infant School, Malabar Hill, Sathye College in Vile Parle."

The cost of a HAM handset ranges between Rs 5,000 and Rs 15,000. In Mumbai there are 24 HAM operators.

Fonte: eHam.net News]