ARLA/CLUSTER: Shortwave Espionage the "Secret Signals, The Euronumbers Mystery"

Terça-Feira, 6 de Maio de 2008 - 16:15:31 WEST

[http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/lisbon.gif]

Soviet Embassy, Lisbon

Welcome to the Shortwave Espionage section. Here you can access the book "Secret Signals, The Euronumbers Mystery" which was written in 1991 and is now out of print. Thanks to the publisher "Tiare Publications " of Lake Geneva U.S.A. and Gerry Dexter its owner, I am able to reproduce the book on this site. I have left out the final 15 pages, partly due to the difficulty in scanning the layout and also because most of the frequencies in the list are now out of date.

"Secret Signals" is about the enduring mystery of the shortwave bands-namely the "Numbers Stations" These are supposedly one way transmissions to espionage agents working in foreign countries. Where do these transmissions come from? Well, one source is an Embassy building in a particular country. Look at the grotesque log periodic antenna on top of the Yugoslav embassy<http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/page489.html> in Washington. Other sites may include international broadcasters. The B.B.C. has always denied any involvement and in the book you will read of a denial of the use of the frequency 6840 kHz "We have not used it for many years". However, later on came the following reply from B.F.B.S. "Thank you for your letter enquiring about our 6840 kHz frequency and any associated interference. You may, or may not, know that this frequency was "lent" to us in order that British Forces serving in the Gulf area could keep in touch with not only the British news but also Service news via BFBS.

The transmitter that radiates this frequency is situated on Cyprus and the transmissions are directed towards the Gulf region (sounds familiar!). We have never had any complaints of the type you describe and therefore no call for further action. It would seem that the heavy interference you describe may well not affect our listeners in the Gulf area since our signal there will be infinitely stronger." See QSL1<http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/page490.html> and QSL2.<http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/page491.html> Could this be a QSL in lieu of a Lincolnshire Poacher confirmation? There have been stations that have had genuine callsigns such as DFC37 and DFD21 and even stations that have issued QSL cards, such as Czech station OLX <http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/page492.html> and semi-spy station KKN44.<http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/page49.html>

The Number Stations use one time pads<http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/otp.htm> which are unbreakable if used correctly. Agents have been caught with them in hollowed out bars of soap<http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/page47.html> . Or even talcum powder <http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/page50.html> containers.

Thanks to a Number Stations 4 CD set brought out by Akin Fernandez, this esoteric subject has been shown on national TV and radio.  There have been many books and magazine articles published on the subject.

More Info: http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/page30.html and http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/index.htm