ARLA/CLUSTER: Kenwood says it is 'here to stay'

João Costa»CT1FBF ct1fbf sapo.pt
Terça-Feira, 10 de Julho de 2007 - 00:39:54 WEST

Ao contrario do que se escrevia em muitos ham blog´s no outro lado do
Atlantico a Kenwwod diz que "está" para ficar...será.

João Costa
CT1FBF

Kenwood says it is 'here to stay'

Once again the bloggers are wrong.

Contrary to what some hams have conjectured on the Internet, Kenwood
Communications has no plans to leave the ham radio marketplace. Amateur
Radio Newsline's Fred Vobbe, W8HDU, has the rest of the story:

Kenwood, which has just announced that is acquiring famed consumer
electronics manufacturer JVC from Matsushita Electric, says that it sees ham
radio as an important part of its overall future business plan. And in a
letter to the Amateur Radio community, Phil Parton, N4DRO, who is the
Kenwood's National Sales Manager for Amateur Radio Products makes it clear
that the company is in ham radio to stay.

Parton writes - and we quote: "I would like to take a moment of your time
with this open letter and help dispel rumors, and falsehoods that have been
stated as fact.
I have been assured from Top Management in Japan and the U.S. and I can
assure you that the Kenwood Communications Sector has no intention of
exiting the Amateur Radio Marketplace. It is a viable market. The Amateur
Division has been running in the black since our restructuring several years
ago. In fact, even with the loss of models over the last four years the
Amateur Division has grown in market, speaking highly of Kenwood quality and
the loyalty of our customers." - End quote.

Parton goes on to say that at the recent Dayton Hamvention, Kenwood
introduced its new dual band TM-V71A and that dealers report many were sold
at the show. The TM-V71A is billed as the world's first Echolink ready
transceiver with ten dedicated Echolink memory channels as well as Echolink
sysop mode of operation.
Parton also notes that the company also had a pre-production prototype of
the Dual Band TM-D710A was under Plexiglas. This radio, due out in late
August, will serve as a replacement for the soon to be discontinued
TM-D700A.

In his letter, Parton also touches on the reason Kenwood has been taking its
time in bringing our new models.

He says that a good portion of the delay is because Europe has already
adopted a Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive and the rest of the
world is likely soon to follow their lead.

The directive sets collection, recycling and recovery targets for electrical
goods and is part of a legislative initiative to solve the problem of huge
amounts of toxic electronic waste. This means that all new consumer
electronics that you will buy in the coming years will have to meet the
directives criteria. Developing products to meet the new standard has taken
a bit of time, but since ham radio gear is a world wide market Kenwood
believes that it is imperative that any new products it brings to that
marketplace do comply.

The bottom line, says Parton, is that Kenwood is very much alive, well
committed to serving the needs of the world-wide Amateur Radio community for
years to come. He ends by saying to please standby for more quality products
bearing the Kenwood name.

Fred Vobbe, W8HDU
Amateur Radio Newsline