ARLA/CLUSTER: QRM nos 41 m.

Miguel Andrade ct1etl clix.pt
Terça-Feira, 10 de Outubro de 2006 - 23:44:32 WEST

Dear Glenn,

I hope my esteemed Carlos Gonçalves can be so kind and forward this message
to you.
Although I do rather agree with your comments in many ways, let me share a
few details about this topic argument.

1) For some reason, the 40 meters ( as well as other bands ) have not the
same limits all over the I.A.R.U three world regions.
Here in Portugal, for instance, for ham radio this band extends only between
7000 KHz and 7100 KHz.
A few lucky ham operators are allowed to use frequencies above these limits
( up to 7200 KHz ), but only in very special situations considered
individually by the authorities. To achieve such " bless " one must have an
“A” licence ( the top level ) and restrictions are quite important, so
operations above 7100 KHz can’t be compared to that below this edge.
Besides that, this experimental use of the so called " extra " new 40 meters
segment is allowed only in a shared basis with the broadcasting service, so
don't expect much " stink " against interferences from this corner of the
world, just because we have no right to do it in harmony with our laws.

2) Discussions on an international level are held to change this panorama.
Soon we do truthfully hope that 40 meters for ham radio will indeed extend
just up to 7200 KHz and not in a combined qualification anymore.
By now we are underneath a " transitional " period prior to this
implementation.

3) Besides RNZI DRM many transmissions made by other broadcasters in
analogical AM phone can be received here.
The band segment between 7100 and 7200 ( 41 m ) is in fact very busy some
times, and a number of powerful stations do use frequencies so close to 7100
KHz, that now and then SSB transmissions above 7090 KHz are nearly
impossible.

4) Not long ago a kind of jamming noise was very frequent nearly above or
below 7100 KHz.
According to some local ham operators, the so-called " helicopter " was an
intentional interference of Saddam Hussein regime to some broadcast of the
Kurdistan Liberation Movement in Iraq.
Is this factual ? ... I really don't know, but coincidence or not, after
Saddam fall the " helicopter " never " took off " again.

5) Finally, the DRM bands issue...
When can we expect separated segments for DRM and to AM phone ?
If you allow me to share my personal opinion, I do recognise the step
forward that DRM stands for on radio broadcasting, as well as all the
advantages of this digital mode, but in some junctures, traditional
analogical transmissions do need some free space to face this new technology
inevitable steps forward.

Please regard these words as a personal point of view only.
Thank you for your important and very accurate topic and be so kind to
accept my best regards.

73's from Miguel Andrade
Portugal