ARLA/CLUSTER: Análise à Esporádica de ontem e recomendações, por DK5YA

Miguel Pelicano miguel.pelicano gmail.com
Sábado, 30 de Maio de 2020 - 19:37:13 WEST

"As a Ham Radio Operator we more or less all know these "once in a
lifetime" events. Working P5 or 3Y on shortwave or fill the gap with the
last country needed for DXCC 100 on 2 meters. May 29th 2020 will remain in
many brains since this day was one of the most remarkable when we talk
about Sporadic 'E'. Almost 19 hours of continuous high MUF beyond 144 Mhz,
until the very late night with last signals disappearing at 03.00 AM local
in Western Europa.
It started early in the morning round 08.00 UT concentrating in Central and
Western Europe and it remained for 19 hours. We saw a High MUF bubble
covering up to 1.3 million square kilometers at its peak with MUF reaching
almost 300 MHz. And we had several different high MUF bubbles every now and
then close to the center of the main area. That’s a very unusual event, to
be honest and the editor can't find anything similar from the last 40 years.
D4VHF was heard in Central Poland, that’s well beyond 5.500 kilometers. He
worked a good basket full of European stations in the 4.500+ Km range and
would have worked many more if only the terrible QRM on 144.174/FT8 would
permit real DX (even me, DK5YA). We saw at least three reports from Brazil
in PSK reporter decoding EA7 and IT9 on 144.174 – a direct line cross the
pond from D4 into PY.
We saw several chordal hops all across Europe, from East to West, from
North to South, all in the 2.500 km 'plus plus' range. It was like 20
meters in a busy DXCC contest in times. We heard from guys working a
pocketful of EA’s in FM just with their small handheld in the garden
running 3W into a rubber stick. And we found many guys leaving 144.174 and
FT8 running SSB and spreading out from 144.200 up to 144.350. It works and
its good to see that there is life beyond FT8.
What should we learn from this event?
+ Yes, it makes sense to leave 144.174 and start using your voice/keyer,
when signals are well beyond S9 and the crowd becomes crazy.
+ Yes, it makes sense using FT8 when signals are in the noise and even CW
will be a challenge.
+ Yes, we should talk about a portion of the MGM range away from 144.174
for "real" DX >1.000km.
+ Yes, we should find a commitment in IARU Region 1 in order to equalize
the chaos on 144.174.
+ And finally: Yes – the 2020 season is very different from the last decade
(at least) and we will all keep our fingers crossed, that it will remain
until the end of August.

See the logs and maps here:
https://mmmonvhf.de/es.php?year=2020&month=05&day=29
"

Udo, DK5YA

<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mmmonvhf.de%2Fes.php%3Fyear%3D2020%26month%3D05%26day%3D29%26fbclid%3DIwAR2WHQPjaj778CrFx1xHRUQDbXo_4Zuv5ZyL-OEcZuyif9nabCWpKctKSzU&h=AT35VLpuL1Ix1-AGxXvGQ9ra2J2M712dcQs3RlGo3qsr14AL_Mndul2qFAlkl89-PJprukje9JO2hK_SrxFpPI2BxflDuU63oQ3Ng8j5gyG_e7RubluU6lS9kZsV1Z4OTR4C4u03FbVFE_mc_utL&__tn__=H-R&c[0]=AT2y_JgFO8s6FLmRJjN9osFpXlkpKeJJgIOJRuZCZ76qhTzsvWi7nPwG-x28jdnx-KVRoSP91e8GKSRgOI4BI1R02uNxflQrI0e99hDE-tsBFRHypjXRQZoyqTMxRDckiDVz8hUxhNeCqzUcu-Lm>