ARLA/CLUSTER: O radioamadorismo não é apenas um hobby

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quarta-Feira, 29 de Abril de 2020 - 15:32:52 WEST

Amateur radio, not just a hobby

Virginia's Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) site features an
article about amateur radio by park ranger *John Fury KJ4PGD*

For my job as a park ranger, I have used many of the skills that I have
learned from amateur radio in my day-to-day job:

• I use the technical skills to install and repair park radios. I developed
a paging system to alert park staff of pertinent information.

• I have also developed interpretive programs that showcase amateur radio.
At Douthat State Park, I did a program called "Ham it up." Where we talked
about amateur radio and its many uses outdoors. When I went to Westmoreland
State Park as a Chief Ranger, I took that program with me and with the help
of the Westmoreland Amateur Radio Club, we enhanced it and added new
programs. Such as alternative energy day, we talked about and demonstrated
the many different types of energy production methods.

• I developed an APRS (Automatic Packet Report System) Workshop. When I put
on the event, the local amateur radio operators had a blast using their
amateur radios to send text messages, emails and learn how to track their
position when traveling on foot or vehicle.

Read the full article at
https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/blog/amateur-radio-not-just-a-hobby