ARLA/CLUSTER: Construindo uma rede de dados a longa distancia nas bandas de amador

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 28 de Outubro de 2019 - 12:42:24 WET

Build a long-distance data network using ham radio

The IEEE magazine Spectrum reports on a new Amateur Radio digital mode, *New
Packet Radio* (NPR)

The article says:

It took six years, but the result is New Packet Radio (NPR), which I chose
to publish under my call sign, F4HDK, as a nom de plume. It supports
today’s de facto universal standard of communication—the Internet’s
IPv4—and allows data to be transmitted at up to 500 kilobits per second on
the popular 70-centimeter UHF ham radio band.

Admittedly, 500 kb/s is not as fast as the megabits per second that flow
through amateur networks such as the European Hamnet or U.S. AREDN, which
use gigahertz frequencies like those of Wi-Fi. But it is still faster than
the 1.2 kb/s normally used by AX.25 links, and the 70-cm band permits
long-distance links even when obstructions prevent line-of-sight
transmissions.

Read the full article at
https://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/hands-on/build-a-longdistance-data-network-using-ham-radio

NPR New Packet Radio