ARLA/CLUSTER: Auxiliary Communications Service : Radioamadores americanos auxiliam a policia nas festas de Natal

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quinta-Feira, 28 de Novembro de 2019 - 12:39:10 WET

Amateur radio operators provide assistance to police

When Blaine’s annual Christmas tree lighting takes place on Saturday,
December 7, a team of amateur radio operators will be working quietly in
the background, assisting the Blaine Police Department

The Northern Light reports:

Equipped with portable radios, the volunteers will direct traffic, maintain
a presence at closed intersections, monitor crowds and alert police
officers to any medical problems or injuries.

This team of radio operators, known as the *Auxiliary Communications
Service* (ACS), consists of 26 volunteers who are trained in the use of
amateur or “ham†radios. They have licenses from the Federal Communications
Commission (FCC) to operate ham radios at certain bandwidths or
frequencies. The FCC issues different classes of licenses, and there is a
test for each class.

Managed by the Blaine Police Department, ACS volunteers provide volunteer
assistance during major Blaine events such as the Fourth of July, the
Christmas tree lighting and the Ragnar Relay long distance race. But their
real goal is to be able to communicate with the outside world in the event
of an emergency or natural disaster.

“We are providing volunteer manpower to the Blaine Police Department,†said
Blaine city councilmember and ACS member *Mary Lou Steward* (call sign
*KG6BMQ*). “But our real goal is that in an emergency, when everything is
overwhelmed, we will be able to communicate with the state and with
everybody else. Cell phones and everything else will be down in a disaster.
So our ham radios will work and allow us to communicate with the outside
world.â€

Read the full story at
https://www.thenorthernlight
.com/stories/amateur-radio-operators-provide-assistance-to-blaine-police-department,8852