Re: ARLA/CLUSTER: 3Y0I - Expedição abortada/adiada

Salomao Fresco sal.fresco gmail.com
Quinta-Feira, 28 de Março de 2019 - 00:20:53 WET

Calma, leiam tudo e não se fiquem pelos cabeçalhos.

A expedição foi _ADIADA_

3YØI Press Release #4
March 27, 2019
3YØI POSTPONED

And yet! After dramatic events earlier today
<https://bouvetoya.org/bouvet-vs-hams-20/>, the captain of the MV Atlantic
Tuna had to take a difficult but responsible decision to take a course back
to Cape Town, South Africa. But the 3YØI Expedition *is NOT cancelled* – we
don’t give up that easily

I just had a long conversation with Dom 3Z9DX on board on the MV Atlantic
Tuna. The seas calmed down enough to let them do a proper technical
inspection of damages caused by the severe cyclonic storm last night. Here
are more details on the latest dramatic events.

On March 26, 2019, the vessel had been approaching a cyclonal storm
wandering nearby Bouvet Island. The captain analyzed the latest weather
reports indicating a chance to break through the storm – it hadn’t been
that strong at that time. Unfortunately, the storm developed and
intensified in a matter of an hour. Around 5-6 o’clock GMT, just 70
nautical miles off Bouvet island, the ship has been hit by a series of 11+
meters (36+ ft) tall waves + wind exceeding 83 knots/h (approx. 160 km/h).
The fierce oceanic forces swept past the upper deck, taking one of the
radars, including VSAT, VHF and HF marine antennas, off the mast and
throwing them all overboard. The hit was so hard the vessel tilted as much
as 45° (but that’s still safe in terms of the vessel’s construction).

EACH AND EVERY TEAM / CREW MEMBER IS FINE, FEELING OK AND SAFE!

With lack of the most important navigational tools, the captain declared
it’s not safe to navigate and they need to go back to Cape Town to secure
both all participants on the board, their equipment and the vessel’s gear.
In addition, all forecasts for coming hours are not positive. The Team
totally relies on the captain’s decisions – he has more than 20 years of
sailing experience in similar areas on both hemispheres. The Team did not
try to push things forward and they all followed the captain’s order and
agreed it’s better to postpone plans for safety reasons.

The ship is now heading back for Cape Town, South Africa, and once back it
will go through a process of all necessary repairs and technical
inspections. Once the Team estimates the necessary time to fix everything
at the ship, another decision will be taken: to return to Bouvetøya in yet
April, or to postpone the expedition for next coming season. Nevertheless…
*THE DXPEDITION IS NOT CANCELLED!*

Regardless of the final outcome of our attempts, it’s clear that activating
Bouvet Island is one of the most difficult and the most dangerous
undertakes of the ham radio – and not only – history. Yet, the 3YØI’s
events will be long discussed and analyzed by the Team to “attack†the
island one more time – as soon as possible – again all marked with
“safety-first†principles.

The Team has dedicated more than 4 months living in Cape Town, right next
to the vessel, to prepare things in person. We have sacrificed Christmas
time and spent that special time without our families. And yet, have spent
an enormous amount of our private funds to make it all happen for the ham
radio’s sake. But we don’t give up, and we all know we gained your trust in
our current and future ham radio attempts. We really appreciate that!

Until now, Bouvet Island vs. Hams 2:0! But that’s just the first half of
the show. Long live the ham radio legacy and its supporters!

Stan SP8S
The 3YØI Press officer

Salomão Fresco

Callsign: CT2IRJ

GRID Locator: IM59re -- CQ Zone 14 / ITU Zone 37

QTH: Fazendas de Almeirim, Portugal

 [image: Salomão Fresco no Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/salomao.fresco> [image: O meu perfil no LinkedIn]
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/salomaofresco?trk=hp-identity-name> [image: