ARLA/CLUSTER: Radioamadores chilenos auxiliam colonos isolados

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quinta-Feira, 14 de Março de 2019 - 17:12:11 WET

Radio hams help isolated settler

IARU Region 2 reports on a short story with a happy ending

There are only a few times in life when radio amateurs have an opportunity
to be truly helpful to someone, but when it comes, we embrace it avidly and
put all our effort so that our experience and skills can benefit those that
really need them; that is the spirit that moves and encourages us, which we
try to instill in the new generations.

Allow us to introduce Don Martin; he is a settler that lives south of
Cochrane (Lake Vargas), an idyllic albeit completely isolated location.

Don has a small government-issued radio that allows him to communicate with
Cochrane and with his “neighborsâ€; he uses it to somehow break that
isolation. However, one day the radio broke and Don was no longer able to
communicate through it.

An acquaintance of Don learned about this and thought that maybe the radio
amateurs could help. He called Radio Club de Chile…it was a difficult task,
knowing what was wrong, making a diagnosis from so far away… However, a
communications bridge could be established and after questions and answers
were exchanged back and forth, we were able to diagnose the fault and
provided instructions on how to solve it.

Last night, Don was able to reestablish communication with Cochrane and is
happy and thankful to all those that participated, and we are more than
happy that we were able to serve and proud to be radio amateurs!