ARLA/CLUSTER: Radioamadorismo na Grécia em 1972

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 29 de Julho de 2019 - 13:42:41 WEST

Ham radio in Greece 1972

In 1972 British Pathe News released a film report on amateur radio in
Greece

Watch Greece: 1972 Amateur Radio Operators Hold Exhibition In Athens As
Government Imposes Controls Over Their Activities
https://www.britishpathe.com/video/VLVA9A9PPLDDUFGN
Z9MD8MKFD1WZR-GREECE-AMATEUR-RADIO-OPERATORS-HOLD-EXHIBITION-IN-ATHENS-AS

The ebook A Dawn of Amateur Radio has an interview with Socrates Coutroubis
SV1AE who describes the difficult situation for radio amateurs in Greece in
the 1960s and 70s:

"Licences continued to be issued until 1967 when the Junta Colonels
Papadopoulos and Patakos established the military dictatorship. We were all
ordered to seal our equipment and obtain written confirmation from the
nearest Police authority that the disablement had been carried out."

"Six months later, in December of 1967 we started getting our licences
back. Most of us believed that because some of the younger officers in the
military government had received training at the Pentagon in the U.S.A.
they convinced their superiors that it was better for the genuine amateurs
to be allowed to operate their equipment under close supervision by the
military and under new regulations, rather than have under cover operators
starting up all over again."

George Gerardos SV1AG had a friend Oresti Yiaka who was involved in
government telecommunications and it was through him that draft legislation
for the issue of amateur licences was instigated, but not for the first
time. Unsuccessful attempts had been made before the war.

In 1965 when George Papandreou was Prime Minister, on the very day when the
Draft Bill was going to be put before Parliament the government resigned
and another 10 years went by. When legislation was finally published in the
Government Gazette in 1972, owing to the prevailing political situation
(military dictatorship) it had serious limitations imposed by some
Ministries which had to look after their own interests, especially the
Ministry of National Defence. But George Gerardos, SV1AG, who had been
closely involved, decided that it would be better to overlook certain
details which may seem strange to us at the present time--details which
could be rectified at a later date, provided the law was finally on the
Statute book.

For instance, I refer to the very restricted frequencies we were allocated
in the 80-metre band, 3.500 to 3.600 MHz. Obviously when we began
transmitting SSB telephony below 3.600 we were greeted with angry
protestations from the CW operators there. And what was worse, the voices
of Greek amateurs were not heard in the DX portion of the phone allocation
from 3.750 to 3.800 MHz.

Source: Amateur radio in Greece after World War II
http://home.mweb.co.za/sa/salbu/aDawnOfAmateurRadio/chapt06.htm