ARLA/CLUSTER: Pai Natal aparece nas Bandas de Amador nos E. U. A.

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Terça-Feira, 24 de Dezembro de 2019 - 12:12:23 WET

Santa appears on Amateur Radio days before Christmas

WSAW TV News reports Santa made an appearance on ham radios across the U.S.
Saturday, and kids around the country could tune in and ask him questions

It was organized by amateur radio operators, who invited both kids and
those young at heart to talk to Santa at Buckley Baldwin VFW Post 2534 in
Wisconsin Rapids.

"I thought this could be an opportunity where kids could actually talk to
Santa without having face-to-face contact, which sometimes makes them very
nervous," said *Tom Heiser KA9TIB*, the secretary of VFW Post 2534.

They're able to talk to Santa using a ham radio, an amateur radio that uses
the internet. There are about 700,000 FCC-licensed operators in the U.S.
It’s been around for more than a hundred years and is one way to
communicate in emergency situations when other communication infrastructure
fails. Events like this are good practice.

"We use it to help practice the passing of information on the air, formal
information and informal information," said *Myron Oestreich KB9STB*, the
assistant emergency coordinator and public information officer for Wood
County ARES/RACES.

Watch the report and read the full story at
https://www.wsaw.com/content/news/Santa-makes-appearance-on-the-radio-566409381.html