ARLA/CLUSTER: New Packet Radio no sistema Hamnet acima da banda dos 70cm

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quinta-Feira, 4 de Abril de 2019 - 13:50:05 WEST

NPR: Hamnet over 70cm

*Daniel Estévez EA4GPZ / M0HXM* has been looking at NPR, an open-source
modem designed to carry IP traffic over the 70cm Amateur Radio band, with
data rates of up to 500 kbps

Daniel writes:

*Guillaume F4HDK* emailed me to introduce me his latest project, NPR (New
Packet Radio).The goal of this modem is to be used for the Hamnet Amateur
radio IP network, to give access to end users where coverage on the 2.3 GHz
and 5 GHz bands is poor due to the terrain.

Overall, I think that NPR is a great project. In its present state it is
already a useful kit that anyone can build. It is also a very nice platform
to study and experiment with TDMA, and its protocol can be modified and
improved further. It is also completely open-source, which I find essential
for this kind of Amateur projects. Hopefully it will catch popularity and
help increase the amount of data traffic in the 70cm band.
Read Daniel's detailed blog post at
https://destevez.net/2019/04/npr-hamnet-over-70cm/

Daniel notes that many of the National Bandplans for 70cm appear to lack
the flexibility to cater for those who wish to experiment with wideband
data modes.

The RSGB have prepared a paper - Digital Principles VIE19 C5-024 - for the
IARU Region 1 Interim Meeting that takes place in Vienna, Austria, on April
27-28.

The paper says: *"The increase in digital modes should be facilitated where
possible by reviewing and relaxing Bandwidth restrictions that may have
their origins in classical analogue modes (CW, SSB etc) – and may now
impede new data modes."*

The RSGB proposes *"Bandwidth restrictions should be reviewed and relaxed
where possible to facilitate experimental and emerging digital
communications modes"*

Download the paper from
https://vienna.iaru-r1.org/conference-documents/c5/