ARLA/CLUSTER: Holanda incentiva os radioamadores a construírem os seus próprios equipamentos

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Terça-Feira, 25 de Setembro de 2018 - 12:48:10 WEST

Home-construction is alive and kicking in the Netherlands

The Dutch national society *VERON* promotes the active involvement of radio
amateurs in innovation, home-construction and experimentation

A Google translation of VERON's recent post says:

Nowadays the cost of commercial equipment is very low. A new VHF/UHF 5 watt
FM handheld can cost just 25 euro. That is why people wonder whether the
stimulus to experiment and self-construction is still present. But the
enormous variety, the low cost of equipment and the arrival of SDR has
created unprecedented possibilities. Because of this one is inclined to
investigate, to build and to innovate.

On our bands we now see the rise of digital modes, software and advanced
equipment. In recent times, revolutionary developments have taken place in
digital modes. Think of propagation beacon technology. And also the
increase of SDR radios. Research and innovation by radio amateurs is far
from over.

It is not the case that self-construction, experimentation and innovation
were taken away by radio amateurs. But traditional self-construction is
making more and more room for the new techniques as shown by the series in
the VERON Electron magazine on getting started with Arduino.

Radio amateurs make more and more use of the Arduino and is more and more
often found in the "shack" of the radio amateur. But there are more series
about new developments in self-construction. For example, we are working on
a series about the Raspberry PI for publication in the Electron. As a
result, this technical development will also be used by more radio
amateurs.

For months now the article "Make your computer or tablet an SDR radio
receiver" has been in the top five of the pages visited on the VERON
website.

The soldering iron makes way for the keyboard - Home-construction,
Experiments and innovation are in a transition from old to new techniques.

Home-construction is alive and kicking.

VERON site https://tinyurl.com/NetherlandsVERON