ARLA/CLUSTER: Satelite Fox-1Cliff - Responsáveis solicitam dados telemétricos a quem o escutar, QSL especial 3D para a primeira estação a reportar.

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quarta-Feira, 14 de Novembro de 2018 - 13:22:07 WET

Fox-1Cliff launch – your help is needed!

Following the successful launch and deployment of *Fox-1Cliff*, all amateur
radio satellite enthusiasts can play an important part in the commissioning
of the new satellite.

Telemetry helps us tremendously, starting ASAP after startup (~59 minutes
after deployment*) and for the next 72-96 hours at least (for the life of
the satellite is preferred!) as we look for successful startup, watch the
general health and function as the satellite begins to acclimate to space,
and start to perform the on orbit checkout.

The first station to successfully receive and submit telemetry to the AMSAT
server will receive a special 3D printed QSL card acknowledging their
contribution.

If you are capturing telemetry with FoxTelem, please be sure that “Upload
to Server†is checked in your settings and your Ground Station Params are
filled in as well. You can help AMSAT and everyone waiting to get on the
air with Fox-1Cliff tremendously, by capturing Fox-1Cliff telemetry.

In the initial Safe Mode after startup, which we actually call Beacon Mode,
the transmitter is limited to 10 seconds on time then does the two minutes
off cycle. For those of you capturing telemetry, that means that you will
only see Current frames and no High or Low frames because the High and Low
are truncated as it takes just over 10 seconds to send two frames. You will
hear Veronica announcing “Fox-1Cliff Safe Mode†while in Beacon Mode.

We will likely leave the satellite in Beacon Mode for 24 hours to observe
power telemetry. If we are seeing good readings from what you gather, when
it comes over the U.S. for the first good pass after that holding period we
will command it from Beacon Mode to normal Safe Mode. That puts Fox-1Cliff
in full (still Safe Mode though) operation and transmits a full two frames
of telemetry which is one Current frame followed by, and alternating each
ID cycle, a High or a Low frame.

We will begin the rest of the in orbit checklist activities at that time,
and it is expected to take 7 to 10 days given the Thanksgiving holiday.

Help your friends and all of our satellite ham friends get on the air and
have fun sooner by being polite and patient!

The in orbit checkout procedure is similar to Fox-1D and could be completed
in as little as 7 days if we have the cooperation of the users. It is very
important, not to mention just plain good Amateur Operating Practice, to
refrain from using the transponder uplink so we can do the on orbit tests,
including when we turn on transponder mode for testing.
I cannot stress enough, the importance of this cooperation not just for us
but also for all users, simply having a little patience so we can conduct
the tests as quickly and accurately as possible.

AMSAT will make it broadly known when the tests are complete and the
transponder is available for all to use. If you hear someone on the
transponder, please do not assume that it is open for general use – check
our website, Facebook, Twitter, to be sure you are not accidentally jumping
in with and unwittingly causing interference as well.

Many hams put thousands of volunteer hours of their time into making
Fox-1Cliff happen. Just like any ham radio project you might undertake, we
build satellites. We do it because we like to, and when we are done, we
freely share our project with hams everywhere as is the spirit of amateur
radio. I have to say though, that the incidents we have experienced in the
past with stations intentionally disregarding the command stations requests
to keep the frequency clear during testing not only delays the
commissioning, but also negatively impacts the enthusiasm that our
volunteers feel toward handing over a new bird to the members and users as
soon as possible.

I am asking all satellite hams to contribute just a little bit of your time
to the fun now, by being patient and just gathering telemetry, not using
the transponder uplink, and helping us complete the last few days of
getting Fox-1Cliff in orbit and operating for all of you.

Thank you very much, see you on the bird!

*Jerry Buxton, N0JY*(AMSAT VP Engineering)

ANS