ARLA/CLUSTER: Reconhecer um SOS numa mensagem em Morse

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 5 de Novembro de 2018 - 12:35:16 WET

SOS for lost Morse code message

The *North Wales Chronicle* reports a Holyhead man has put out an SOS for a
lost morse code message which played an important role in heralding the end
of the First World War

Trevor Williams is appealing for help to find the treasured Armistice
message his father "Billy" William Evan Williams transcribed 100 years ago
when he worked as a Wireless Telegraphist, morse code operator, in the
Royal Naval Voluntary Reserves.

Trevor's father was the sub-postmaster of Church Terrace Post Office in
Holyhead.

Back in 1916, he joined the RNVR aged 18, and after training was posted to
the Mersey U-boat-hunting flotilla under the command of Captain, Gordon
Campbell VC, DSO x 3.

In 1917/18, they were posted to Holyhead to stop the sinking of ships in
the Irish sea.

On the 11th day of the 11th month, 1918 he was Wireless Telegraphist of the
Watch, on Captain Campbell"s ship HMS Patrol, in Holyhead Breakwater
Harbour
At 0630 hrs, he received a Morse Code message from the Eiffel Tower, saying
war was to end at 11am.

He transcribed the message and the captain sent him ashore to inform the
Holyhead Town Hall.

Trevor said: "As a local lad and sailor, our dad was thrilled, especially
as Holyhead may have been one of the first places to hear the good news
that the terrible war was over.

"He went back to his ship and was over the moon to be given the message as
a memento. Another message, from King George V, at 0200 hrs on November 12,
1918, was also given to him.

Trevor's father died aged 63 in 1960. Trevor, who is now 87, and his twin
brother John looked after the items until their 80th birthdays.

"Then we decided that we should take it to the Holyhead Maritime Museum but
to be retrieved by us, framed with photos, on the 11th of the 11th this
year, " said Trevor, who taught at the County School.

"We hoped to retrace our Dad's footsteps to the Town Hall and present it to
the Mayor, a proud day for us." But his brother died before they could
carry out their plan and the treasured message was lost.

Read the full story at
https://www.northwaleschronicle
.co.uk/news/16971655.holyhead-mans-sos-to-find-war-is-over-lost-morse-code-message/