ARLA/CLUSTER: Howard Michel (WB2ITX) novo CEO da ARRL dá a conhecer as ambições para o seu mandato

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 5 de Novembro de 2018 - 11:14:01 WET

New CEO's ambitions for ARRL

Newly elected ARRL CEO *Howard Michel, WB2ITX*, would like to see ARRL
focus on the future of Amateur Radio and not become the redoubt of a
particular generation of radio amateur or interest group

The ARRL report:

Ham radio appears currently entrenched with opposition often expressed to
FT8 and other digital modes and protocols that bend Amateur Radio
traditions and conventions, Michel observed. However, as he sees it,
technology for the whole of Amateur Radio has been changing, and detractors
to advances have always been present. He’d like ARRL to encourage more
technological diversity without creating controversy.

“My kick is seeing the technology advance,†the former IEEE president and
CEO said. “I want to see hams embrace the new technology — as long as we do
that in a way that those who don’t adopt the new technology won’t feel
abandoned.†In his view, the real reason behind the continued enthusiasm
for CW “is not the technology; it’s the legacy.â€

“Young people in general don’t join organizations, but they join causes,â€
he said. “With that kind of attitude, how do we develop the same kind of
ability for people interested in Amateur Radio to self-organize around
causes? And if we can design the infrastructure around that, maybe they’ll
see value in ARRL and become a new type of member — not one who necessarily
comes to ham club meetings once a month but finds the League can facilitate
what they want to do.â€

Read the full ARRL story at
http://www.arrl.org/news/new-ceo-wants-arrl-to-serve-all-ages-and-amateur-radio-interests