ARLA/CLUSTER: Vento Solar já sopra provocando auroras

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Sexta-Feira, 16 de Março de 2018 - 13:00:05 WET

What's up in space

Lights Over Lapland is excited to announce that we now have TWO aurora
webcams covering nearly a 200° view of Abisko National Park in Sweden!
Watch the auroras dance live, all season long here
<https://lightsoverlapland.com/webcams/>.

*THE SOLAR WIND HAS ARRIVED: *Earth is entering a stream of high-speed
solar wind flowing from a wide gash
<http://spaceweather.com/images2018/13mar18/ch2_strip.jpg?PHPSESSID=tul95dk77ugkkr76u85qk8mc85>
 in the sun's atmosphere. Around the Arctic Circle, this is causing auroras
so bright that some observers have seen them even before nightfall. Rayann
Elzein sends this picture from Inari, Finland:

"Yes, the solar wind has indeed arrived!" reports Elzein. "The show began
as soon as the sky was dark enough to see auroras. We witnessed a very
intense purple fringe against the twilight background, allowing me to tick
off a dream shot from my personal bucket list."

"Later, the sky exploded
<http://spaceweather.com/images2018/15mar18/Rayann-Elzein-201803160052_REZ_8331_1521157610.jpg?PHPSESSID=tul95dk77ugkkr76u85qk8mc85>
 in very bright lights, lighting up the snow and all the landscape around
me," he continues. "For a while, I got so excited that it made me forget
the cold that was biting me after spending 3 hours on a frozen lake with
-28°C (-18°F)."

The instigating stream of solar wind is coming from an unusually wide hole
in the sun's atmosphere. Earth could remain inside it for another 48+
hours. Stay tuned for more Arctic lights <http://spaceweathergallery.com/>.
*Free:* Aurora Alerts
<http://spaceweather.com/services?PHPSESSID=tul95dk77ugkkr76u85qk8mc85>