ARLA/CLUSTER: Alterações nos Google Maps ameaçam o site do APRS

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quinta-Feira, 19 de Julho de 2018 - 17:56:32 WEST

Google Maps pricing changes threaten APRS site

The popular amateur radio APRS tracking site aprs.fi run by *Heikki
Hannikainen OH7LZB* is threatened by changes to the Google Maps pricing
model

Heikki Hannikainen OH7LZB writes:

For some time this morning, Google Maps on aprs.fi displayed a pop-up
saying "This page can't load Google Maps correctly". The map tiles were
dark with "For Development Purposes Only" written on them.

This was because of a configuration accident on my part: the aprs.fi profile
on Google Cloud console was not properly linked to the correct payments
profile which has my credit card attached. That's now fixed and the maps
load fine. For a short while.

Due to the volunteer / charitable / non-profit uses in Amateur Radio
circles (SAR, disaster relief, etc) aprs.fi has had a generous free use
limit from Google, even after the pricing went up in 2012. With the recent
pricing model changes for Google Maps APIs, the free use quota got lost. It
was a bit uncertain whether it'll stay there or not, now it's obvious it's
gone.

I'm trying to reach out to them and see if it can be reinstated, or if a
generous volume discount can be applied. If someone has insider Google
contacts who are amateur radio operators, please email me and them in
private.

If not, I might be looking at a bill of 4000-5000€ per month, which
obviously is something that I can't do. The billing has now started, and I
got a small credit for the transition & try-out period, which will last for
a few days, and I can pay the bill for a few more days after that.

To reduce the loads a bit, I'll be disabling the Embedded maps feature
right now.

There is a risk that I'll have to replace Google Maps with something, but
it'll be a development effort which will take quite some time, and the end
result might not be quite as smooth; the Maps API has been pretty great.

Source aprs.fi forum
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/aprsfi/iXm72OZ0ML8/GTfaAXB-CAAJ

Heikki Hannikainen OH7LZB
http://he.fi/
https://twitter.com/hessu

Information on the Automatic Packet Reporting System can be found at
http://www.aprs.org/