ARLA/CLUSTER: Honduras: Doação de equipamentos de radioamador para Comunicações de Emergência pela ITU

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 27 de Agosto de 2018 - 10:34:36 WEST

Honduras: Donation of Ham Radio equipment for Emergency Comms

On August 22, 2018, the National Telecommunications Commission of Honduras
(abbreviated CONATEL in Spanish), delivered radio communications equipment
to COPECO, donated by ITU for emergency communications

Honduras is part of a pilot project of ITU that includes Central America
and the Caribbean, aiming to achieve full implementation in South America.

Miguel Alcaine, ITU Area D Representative, said: “The most important thing
is that CONATEL, COPECO and the radio amateurs start working with the
WinLink tool. I am very happy to know that we are doing something before
disaster strikesâ€.

Lisandro Rosales, National Commissioned Minister of COPECO, stated that
“one of COPECO’s objectives has been the strengthening of information and
communication technologies (ICTs), and thanks to them, the institution has
one of the most powerful communications networks of the region, with
coverage of 95% of the national territoryâ€.

Minister Rosales also said that “We have realized that telecommunications
is a key element in order to give early warnings and to warn about imminent
danger, or to coordinate assistance or reconstruction activitiesâ€.

The cooperation agreement also includes a training process. To this effect,
COPECO technicians, along with professionals of the 911 National Emergency
System and CONATEL personnel, initiated a series of workshops, with the
support of Honduran radio amateurs.

Omar Paredes, HR1OP, secretary of Club de Radio Aficionados Central de
Honduras (CRACH), commented: “This program and radio equip0ment will allow
first responders that work during emergencies to send information through
radio waves in high-frequency (HF) bands, when telephone and digital
communications collapse or if there are power outagesâ€.

For more information, visit the following links:
https://twitter.com/copeco_honduras/status/1032398622623653888?s=21

http://www.latribuna.hn/2018/08/22/copeco-recibe-equipo-de-radio-comunicacion-para-emergencias-o-desastres

Source IARU Region 2 http://iaru-r2.org/