ARLA/CLUSTER: The Raspberry Pi 3B+ as an SDR – without the SDR!

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Quinta-Feira, 26 de Abril de 2018 - 13:48:21 WEST

The Raspberry Pi 3B+ as an SDR – without the SDR!

We’ve become used to software-defined radio as the future of radio
experimentation, and many of us will have some form of SDR hardware. From
the $10 RTL USB sticks through to all-singing, all-dancing models at
eye-watering prices, there is an SDR for everyone.

What about the idea of an SDR without any external hardware? Instead of
plugging something into your Raspberry Pi, how about using the Pi itself,
unmodified? That’s just what the Nexmon SDR project has achieved, and this
has been made possible through clever use of the on-board Broadcom 802.11ac
WiFi chip. The result is a TX-capable SDR, albeit one only capable of
operating within the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz spectrum used by WiFi.

The team had previously worked extensively with the chipset in the Nexus 5
phone, and the SDR extension was first available on that platform. Then
along came the Raspberry Pi 3 B+ with a similar-enough WiFi chipset that
the same hack was portable to that platform, et voilá: WiFi SDR on a Pi 3
B+.

If you’ve not looked at the Pi 3 B+ we’d like to direct you to our review.
If you don’t have a Nexus 5 kicking around, and you’d like to do some
WiFi-band SDR work, it’s looking like an amazing deal.

Via rtl-sdr.com.

https://hackaday.com/2018/04/14/the-raspberry-pi-3b-as-an-sdr-without-the-sdr/

*•* Our thanks to *Stephen, G7VFY* for the above information