ARLA/CLUSTER: O radioamadorismo tradicional já não é mais atractivo para as novas gerações

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Sexta-Feira, 29 de Setembro de 2017 - 13:14:03 WEST

Traditional ham radio no longer so attractive

IARU President *Tim Ellam VE6SH/G4HUA* pointed out to the IARU Region 1
General Conference in Landshut that traditional aspects of Amateur Radio
may not be attractive to all newcomers

The ARRL reports:

*IARU President Tim Ellam, VE6SH/G4HUA, welcomed the attendees, urging them
to reflect upon what will attract the majority of young people into Amateur
Radio, “and what our mutual expectations should be.†Ellam said his
personal observation is that, while some younger people are interested in
the more traditional aspects of Amateur Radio, many are only interested in
ham radio as an adjunct to other possibly unrelated interests.“I applaud
the excellent work that has been undertaken in this region through the
Youngsters on the Air (YOTA) program.†Tim said, crediting the hard work of
IARU Region 1 Youth Working Group Chair Lisa Leenders, PA2LS. YOTA’s summer
Amateur Radio camps have attracted young hams from around the world; this
year’s was held in the UK.“Our ambition should be to embrace these
individuals in their activities and accept that some of the more
traditional aspects of the hobby will hold little interest to them, and
indeed may no longer be relevant,†he continued. “That is not to say that
some are not enthused with what we all hold as the core of our hobby, such
as contesting or operating generally. I fear, though, that we need to look
at what will attract the new generations to Amateur Radio and make sure we
promote Amateur Radio as meeting their needs, rather than promoting the
historical view of what Amateur Radio has to offer.â€*

Read the full ARRL story at
http://www.arrl.org/news/iaru-president-traditional-aspects-of-ham-radio-may-not-be-attractive-to-newcomers