ARLA/CLUSTER: Radioamadores enviam mensagens de esperança através de link para Houston no Texas.

João Costa > CT1FBF ct1fbf gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 4 de Setembro de 2017 - 12:41:41 WEST

Ham radio sends messages of hope to Houston

WIVB reports radio amateurs in New York have been providing a
comunicatons link to the flood hit areas of Texas

Rescues and clean up efforts in Houston are still underway as recovery
from Harvey continues. When technology fails in the middle of a storm,
messages from right here in Western New York still make their way to
the disaster zone.

Luke Calianno N2GDU is tuned in to Texas. He is the Emergency
Coordinator for the Lancaster ARES Emergency Alert System here in
Lancaster. He sends “radio-grams” to areas across the country, to
those who are facing disaster.

Calianno said, “It feels really good. Because I’m in turn giving back
to the community. This is what our hobby is all about.”

These are called radio-grams, and they work just like a telegram.
When Hurricane Hharvey hit, cell phone service was weak, and
electricity was not easy to access to people in Houston.

Calianno said, “That’s where the HAM radio comes in. When all else
fails, HAM radio always gets through.”

Read the full story at
http://wivb.com/2017/09/02/ham-radio-sends-messages-of-hope-to-houston/